The Planning Stage [I Quit Smoking Blog Series]

Jul 11, 2015

The Planning Stage

One month before I stop smoking, I had to fix my diet. I had to remove unhealthy foods and carbonated drinks from my diet, and lessen my intake of sweets and carbohydrates. On the other hand, I increased my portions of vegetables and fruits. This is my preparation for the day that I’ve been waiting for. I don’t want to experience withdrawal symptoms again, that’s why I prepped my body up properly for this drastic lifestyle change.

Aside from my physical health, I also need to prepare my mind and emotions. How will I fight my cigarette cravings when it gets triggered?

Triggers
Alternatives
The moment I wake up
Remind myself why I want to stop smoking
When inside the bathroom
Light up an incense
After meals
Brush my teeth immediately
When I’m drinking coffee
Eat nuts or bananas
During idle times
Read books
When I’m thinking of something
Munch on nuts or dried fruits
Before going home
Avoid hanging around for a bit and go home immediately instead
When I’m with a friend who smokes
Avoid them for the meantime. If I really need to be with them, I will just eat nuts.
When I’m stressed

I also listed the reasons why I want to quit smoking. These will serve as reminders each time I experience my cravings for cigarettes:
  • I want to improve the quality of my life.
  • I don’t want to have an unpleasant odor in my mouth as well as on my clothes because of smoking.
  • I don’t want others to get sick, especially the non-smokers
  • I want to be a good example to my child.
  • I want to encourage my siblings to stop smoking.
  • I want to cut my expenses and save more money.

I structured a system for this attempt to ensure that I will no longer resort back to smoking during the whole process of quitting.

Am I really ready?

Archive: I Quit Smoking Blog Series
Previous Post: Will I Ever Stop Smoking? My Failed Attempts at Quitting
Next Post: The First Day I Quit Smoking




Share /

No comments

Post a Comment

About

Aris Moreno is the owner of www.theoptimistblog.com, a blog that aims to inspire and motivate people to be positive and happy. Life was not easy for him in the past and he went through different problems, but because of a positive disposition, he was able to rise up and overcome his trials. These experiences became his guide and inspiration to write meaningful articles in his blog. For him, being able to give direction and encouragement to others is what gives him genuine joy and happiness. It’s also his way of giving glory back to God for all the blessings that he continues to receive.

Featured in

Brew Your Best Year

Pick the Brain

Margaret Duarte
© The Realistic Optimist